Thursday, November 10, 2005

BBC Reports On CRIME OF THE CENTURY!

Lula watches pirated movie!!! A first world headline if there ever was one. Does this mean every time I humm Brown Sugar I have to send Mick and Keith 10 cents? Yes it's their labor and intellectual workers should get paid but once you make your movie, painting, song, etc... sell it and then it's all of ours to do with it what we will. Should I have to give an auto worker a check everytime I drive my car?

As an intellectual worker I would be pissed if my lecture was videoed and then sold but if someone wanted to give it away I think they should be able to.

3 comments:

Scott W. said...

Anton, you DO have to send Mick and Keith 10 cents every time you hum one of their tunes, but they said you should just send it to me and I'll give it to them next time they drop by the house.

I must be missing some vital information. The story sez Lula's aides "obtained" the video. Well, if they bought a pirated copy, that would be wrong, right? It depends on the meaning of "obtained."

Since the movie hadn't yet been released, I don't know how they would've gotten the video unless a)they got a studio promotional-type copy, which should be kosher, or b) arrrrrgh, matey.

Will the piracy police come after Lula? Will he go on the lam? Will they call his saga "Run, Lula, Run?"

Sorry.

Scott W. said...

I saw something today about the New Yorker being out in a DVD version: every single issue from the first, when they had a dinosaur in a top hat on the cover.

The catch is they scanned every page in, so you can't search, no links, can't select and copy text. The reason for this is that if they made it a fully digital document, they'd have to pay all their freelancers a royalty.

That is sick, also.

Fons said...

My problem with the intellectual rights movement is its goal: PROFIT. Let's say an Indian pharmacuetical company comes up with an AIDS drug that's a lot like Merck's and they want to give it away. Under the current regime M has a right to sue the I gov to stop. This is deadly sick. I don't really care if someone "steals" my movie by watching it on a bootleg copy. The main reason I made the movie was for people to watch it. Should someone else be able to make money off of it as a middle man? No.