Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Mr President and Good Writing

Sam Rosenthal on the press conference: "The president got a tad petulant when fielding questions on Social Security. His emphatic response to any and all queries about his position on the subject was an indignant, righteous refusal to answer: “You’re not going to get me to negotiate with myself,” he repeatedly told the perplexed reporters. “I know what you’re trying to get me to do. You’re trying to get me to answer ‘Why this,’ ‘why that,’ to take positions -- don’t bother to ask me.” Rather than merely dodge the questions, Bush seemed intent on staking out an explicit, principled position in favor of dodging the question. There may have been a method to this madness above and beyond Bush’s stated explanation that “Congress writes legislation” and therefore he, as the president, shouldn’t be setting specific guidelines for a Social Security reform proposal. The president isn’t usually a big separation-of-powers, checks-and-balances kind of guy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like authoritarianism--'here is my plan, you don't like it tough shit.' Do the red-staters who voted for him like this approach, or are they just not paying attention?

On Fox News they would say this is an example of his leadership skills and decisiveness. What they call decisiveness is just laziness. I find Dubya's approach to be spookily authoritarian.

--T. Fons

Fons said...

People definately like the style but for the most part his voters are not paying attention. The stenographers (journalists) are the one's that I'm worried about however. He lies to them on a regular basis and they almost never call him on it. Their retort is correct however, the flak is deafening when they say hey he's lying about.....