Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Mess O Potamia

The most interesting analysis/debate on the mess in Iraq and its impact on US politics I have seen lately is Steve Perry's debate with his liberal colleague Mark Gisleson. Perry argues that there is a major problem of empire literacy if Bush's numbers keep going up as Richard Clarke credibly testifies about the Bush regime's obsession with Iraq and I might add the current nastiness also. For a teacher in some ways it is not surprising given that on any given day I see students nod and agree about this issue and that and later when asked to give analysis or an opinion on a related topic the exact opposite opinion/analysis will come out of the heads of the young scholars. It is not the most intellectually rigorous citizenry in the world I guess.

Actually, I take this back, the Onion debate on Iraq was far better!

No comments: